Klamath County California
Klamath County. Organized in 1851. Bounded
north by Del Norte, east by Siskiyou, south by Trinity and
Humboldt, and west by the Pacific Ocean. Area, 2,000 square
miles. Assessed valuation of property for 1874, $592,526.
County seat, Orleans Bar. Principal towns: Black Bear, Sawyer's
Bar and Trinidad. Resources, principally mineral. The
mountainous character of this county renders easy access
difficult, which has been a great bar to its development.
The quartz and placer mines of gold, which are found in many
localities, are the most available resources of the county.
Along the ocean beach, as at Gold Bluff, the sands contain gold
in considerable quantities, and its extraction has yielded
remunerative returns to those engaged in the business. At Black
Bear are extensive and very valuable quartz mines, of which the
Black Bear, Klamath and Yellow Jacket are the principal. The
first two have powerful mills, of thirty-two stamps each, and
are producing largely. The vein upon which these mines are
located is encased in talcose slate, is near one hundred feet in
thickness, the ore yielding from $12 to $35 per ton, and its
general characteristics so much like the "Mother Lode" of
Calaveras and Amador, that equally as great results are hoped
Throughout the county are extensive forests of pine and redwood,
but the want of an accessible harbor to afford an easy
communication with the great markets renders this resource
almost unavailable. At Trinidad, vessels may anchor in favorable
weather; but with this exception, there is no harbor on the
coast line of the county. The Klamath, a river of four hundred
miles in length, of an immense volume, takes a sinuous course of
ninety miles through the county. This great river finds its
source in the "Lake Country," east of the .Sierra Nevada and
Cascade ranges; and after cutting these mountains, it rushes on
through deep canons to the sea, with a rapidity which renders
navigation unsafe. The Trinity, a large stream, enters from the
south, flowing twenty-five miles in this county. Scott's
Mountain, a lofty and precipitous range, separates it from
Trinity, and extends into Siskiyou.
By Act of the Legislature of 1874, Klamath was annexed to
Siskiyou, but until the question is judicially decided the
county will retain its organization.
Officers: J. T. Carey, County Judge; B. W.
Jenks, Clerk, Recorder and Auditor; H. P. Scott. District
Attorney; T. M. Brown, Sheriff and Tax Collector; P. W. Wasmuth,
Treasurer; James Nally, Assessor; A. M. Forbes. Surveyor;
(vacant) Coroner; (vacant) Public Administrator; A. Hartz.
Superintendent Public Schools.
California Gazetteer |
Source: Pacific Coast Business Directory for 1876-78, Compiled
by Henry G. Langley, San Francisco, 1875