Tuolumne County California
Tuolumne County, Organized in 1850. Bounded
northwest by Calaveras, north by Alpine, east by Mono, south by
Mariposa, and southwest by Stanislaus. Area, 1,944 square miles.
Assessed valuation of property for 1874, $1,447,675.
County seat, Sonora. Principal towns. Big Oak Flat, Chinese
Camp, Columbia and Springfield.
Tuolumne is one of the oldest and formerly was one of the most
prosperous of the mining counties. The great wealth of the
placers overshadowed every other interest, and the care for and
development of other resources were neglected. With the
exhaustion of the easiest worked placers came discouragement,
and the bright hopes that had impelled the miner to superhuman
exertions and to undergo every privation in the search for gold
were changed to doubt; the venturesome spirit which had turned
rivers from their beds and pierced mountains with tunnels
requiring the labor of years was considered as un-business like,
the accumulated treasures were taken for investments in the
cities and farming regions which promised a more certain return,
if not so large, and the mountains were abandoned by the greater
portion of their population. But, the resources of the mining
countless are not only unexhausted but are scarcely developed.
Tuolumne is an example of the others.
In the production of fruits there is no locality or country on
earth superior to that portion of the Sierra below the line of
deep snows. Grapes grow to perfection, and the wine and brandy
manufactured is of the best quality. The mulberry tree
flourishes luxuriantly, and the silkworm that feeds on the
leaves is healthy and spins a superior quality of silk.
Vegetables of the finest varieties are produced, and grain is
successfully cultivated. Such is proven to be the capacity of
Tuolumne, and a greater wealth than ever the mines produced
awaits the prosecution of the agricultural interest, of which
the leading branches shall be horticulture and sericulture.
Perfect titles to land, whether mining or farming, are the great
desideratum. The mines, however, are by no means exhausted, but
by the aid of improved processes and a better knowledge of
industry, new and encouraging developments are made that give
promise of restoring the great mining interest to its former
importance. With abundant population and well directed labor the
placer and quartz mines will continue to furnish their treasures
for ornamentation and circulation from the midst of fertile
fields, vine-clad hills, and prosperous manufactories.
The great canals that have been constructed to conduct the water
from the deep canons to the mountain ridges will furnish means
for irrigation and propelling machinery, thus saving the labor
of the past for lasting and useful purposes. Tuolumne occupies a
section of the western slope of the Sierra, the eastern portion
being high and difficult of access, gradually descending to the
western extremity. Forests of pine and oak are found in every
part, adding to that natural wealth and aiding in the
development of the resources.
The principal rivers are the Stanislaus, running along the
northern border, and the Tuolumne, with many branches in the
Officers: Henry B. McNeil, County Judge; Isaac
J. Potter, Clerk, Recorder, and Auditor; Edward K. Galvin,
District Attorney; David F. Baxter, Sheriff, and Tax Collector;
Daniel M. Kenfield, Treasurer; Thomas C. Birney, Assessor; A. B.
Beauvais. Surveyor; Charles Burden, Coroner, and Public
Administrator; John Murnan, Superintendent Public Schools.
California Gazetteer |
Source: Pacific Coast Business Directory for 1876-78, Compiled
by Henry G. Langley, San Francisco, 1875